Friday, February 17, 2012

Under the palms

Here's a shot of the little Jung-style loco in some trial scenery. Lush, tropical greenery is interesting to make. There are companies that do a nice job in 1/32 scale or so, however, their offerings would be way too expensive with which to plant a layout. Some experimenting needs to be done. I used to work for an architectural model company when I was going to school and that is where I learned to make palms. The only problem with those is the fact they take so long to make properly. Plastic ones just don't cut it for me. The undergrowth is from pine branches at the faux greenery department of Michael's. These are OK if they are painted. They do not represent any specific flora, however, they kind of look the part and they are cheap. Other varieties of growth can be found at Michael's or the like and with a little careful snipping and coloring seem to work out quite well assuming you don't show your layout to a botanist! I'm still looking for hypsicantha though.

2 comments:

  1. It is beautyfull Tom, I'm aming for something like that on my island Grand Ronderonde

    Cheers
    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hans, but this is only a mock-up to see what things might look like. The loco needs more details too. That's one of the 4 wheel cane cars behind it.

    ReplyDelete