Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Let's Celebrate!

Four members and counting! I have no idea how many we may collect, but no matter. Yesterday I experimented with some foam and carved a sample rock outcropping. Never done that before. Nope, never had a reason to. I am getting ready to start the base for The Last Resort and since it is all rock in the middle of the Caribbean somewhere, I need to be able to do that. T intend to do all of the rock carving from either foam or expanded urethane to cut down on weight. In fact, other than the bench work, which will be light lumber, everything else will be very light weight. All structures, and there will be numerous ones on the mountain top, will be urethane foam. No plaster at all. The track work will be Woodland Sceneics foam.

I just finished making five tie patterns in styrene. I will not hand lay the rails. Micro Engineering On30 track will be used along with one Pico electrofrog switch. Wiring will be kept real simple! The tie patterns are for this track. The stock smaller ties drop into slots in the new ones, cast in resin! This gives me uneven and rather crudely shaped ties without hand laying the track. I will remove about half of the stock ties before attaching the new "casings" over the remaining. I will still need a couple hundred ties I guess, but I can cast these from scrap as I do kits and things. I'll have a small pile of ties before I know it.  I will post a shot or two next week after I make the mold and some samples to assemble a short length of track as a test.

The first structure will start to take shape soon too. It will be the welcome center for the guests staying at the mountain top resort. More on that a little later.I picked up some half scale dollhouse supplies and details for this project. Actually, a length of 1/12 scale metal fencing will become cut up and used for window grills and a gate. I wish I could just sit and play all day on this, but I know I can't. Still, I need to make some time here and there somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment