Thursday, March 15, 2012

Work on the main island continues

Cementos #3 is now complete. The squat little 0-6-0T was bashed from a Bachmann On30 2-6-0. Nothing but the frame was used as usual. Everything else is either styrene or cast resin. Believe it or not, this loco is built from a photo of a real locomotive, manufacturer unknown. The main change I made was converting it to an 0-6-0 instead of the four drivers of the original. The boiler is a plastic tube and the square water tank was fabricated from styrene sheet. The cab is also styrene. Both pilot beams are carved from blocks of glued-up styrene to resemble wood. Two sanding boxes are mounted at the front of the tank and are linked to the cab by a long line. Ok, she isn't quite finished yet. You caught me! The sanding pipes need to be added yet.



The finish is to represent a pit engine that receives as little care as is necessary to keep it running. The color is a much faded and chipped blue. The lettering is dry transfer that has been painted and weathered over. There is a small oil bunker in the cab. This will be one of several Cementos locomotives needed. I am working on a 2-6-0 with tender and an outside frame 2-8-0T+T as well as a tiny diesel converted from an old steamer.

7 comments:

  1. Tom, this is great -- what character! You really ought to post this in the GnAtterBox as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would if I could, however, I have not been able to post anything for quite some time now. I cannot get in - even with a new password that was assigned. Feel free to post some photos for me and an address for interested parties. I am not abandoning the GnAtterBox at all. Just can't make it work any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I just posted pictures of some of your Island locos on the GnATTERBOX site under, "Tom Yorke Island Locos". I also posted a link to your Blog site to help others follow your adventures.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That will help a lot. I don't know why I cannot post, but I just can't.

      Thanks again!!

      Delete
  3. She's a treat, love that worn look, down but not out ;-)

    Cheers
    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Art and Hans...
    GnAtterBox folks might like to know that resin parts are available for the red Teakettle and there should be a photo run of the Taiwan Diesel that is available as a kit also in the appropriate thread. I would do this if I could... Interested parties can contact me at tomyorke@bellsouth.net

    I would appreciate any help with this. I can supply with photos.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tom,

    Haven't seen this last incarnation before, it looks groovy!

    Real inspiration, thanks for showing us.

    A long string of mine tubs would be great behind this.

    /Henrik

    ReplyDelete