Friday, May 2, 2014

Grande Barbosa Update

OK, it's been a  mother long time, again! Seems I just can't get much work done on the islands of Grande Barbosa and the smaller Last Resort. What with trying to catch up on kit production and custom work there isn't too much time left for "play".

I have actually done some work over the last half year or so. I've carved three walls for the Chapel at The Last Resort. That area will become the pool and patio since there isn't a roof or fourth wall left on the old Chapel anyway. It's probably bigger than it aught to be too. That will compress the other Monastery buildings somewhat.

I have the two 24" doors to use as a base for the island as soon as I can find the time to fasten them together and start adding styrofoam chunks to build up the first level of the land mass. I've also started about five new locos. A few will be for the islands and the others are just ones I've wanted to build for some time.

I am hoping I can get Keith to finish putting the first value of the Grande Barbosa book together soon. i have already started writing the second, this time on The Last Resort. Please pester Keith about finishing!

 No photos yet but I hope to have some by next installment. I really want to get going. The first stage of work will be the base. That will be covered with 1/8" illustration board for the ocean base to be built upon. Then comes a 6" layer of foam that will take the level of the land up to the Welcome Center base. This is the home base for the rail line, shops (as they are), and a home for the owner built out over the ocean to save land mass, of which there isn't very much! The circular track work will come next. I will use Micro Engineering track with my own resin tie "surrounds" to beef up the look. once the track is in and operating I will then start to fill in scenery with foam, frocks and trestles and bridges. All this leads up to the Monastery atop the hill. The hill top will not be level at all. The Monastery will flow down into crevices and be placed atop little rises as the case may be. All done in Spanish stone and re-built here and there as necessary. lots of balconies, stairs, towers, tiny patios and greenery. there will probably only be one, perhaps two turnouts on the island. Very simple operation.

The owner's home will be fashioned of scraps found all over and built to an island style of architecture. Rainwater stored for running water, a generator for power and a self-flushing toilet over the ocean. I had wanted to do a tiny Victorian home but I felt it would take away from the Welcome Center and the larger Monastery, so I decided to keep it simple and crude. One question I will have to answer is what happens to the tide flow on all sides of the island? The Atlantic side will be rough, but the Caribbean side will be much less so. The whole island will be in view so all sides must be completed and the water must "flow" as it should around a real island.

Figures are another problem. I need a bunch of females to occupy the resort. A few 80mm ones cast in metal are usable but I think I will need to make a bunch from Preiser nudes for the rest. Painting will be a delicate headache. At some point I will also have to complete the seaplane that will be overhead flying a few new visitors to the resort. It is an ancient biplane from the UK and in 1/4" scale, but it's up in the air, so smaller is fine.

I hope for the next installment I can add some photos of progress. Oh yes, I have done more work on the main island's town structures too. Nothing is complete except for the previously pictured drink bar.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment